Saturday, May 21, 2011

To continue the story

Mary

In Michigan we have incredible falls. The hardwoods of the north never fail to deliver a spectacular show of crimson and gold. The fall in North Carolina is also glorious. I was not expecting the colors to be so vibrant or for the season to last as long as it does, from early October well through Thanksgiving.

Our first fall in North Carolina was a lesson on the state. We enjoyed the weather in the 70’s and 80’s in the Raleigh area where we live. Raleigh is located in the Piedmont on the eastern edge of the fall line. The coast is less than 2 hours away and the mountains are between 3 and 4 hours depending on where you go.

I had not been to the North Carolina portion of the Appalachian Mountains or on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Because the colors were so vibrant Tim and I decided to take a long weekend and go camping with our two dogs Kramer and Lola.

To tell the truth it was my idea to go to the mountains the last weekend of October. I could not wait to see the Smokies in full color. It was also my idea to stop at Walmart and pick up an inexpensive tent and an air mattress. Off we go, with the truck filled and over flowing and a reservation at the Swannoa KOA just outside Ashville and the Blue Ridge Parkway.
.
We get there, make camp and take off for the parkway and a late dinner. I feel a slight chill in the air and decide to take a light jacket.

As Tim said, the trip up the mountain that day was great. It was a magical event and I feel we would be lucky if we ever experience it again. Our dinner was great that night too.
We had barbecue at Moe’s Original Bar B Cue just off I-40. So far it was a weekend trip to remember.

There was a bite to the air by the time we left the restaurant. The dogs were comfortable and snoozing in the truck. When we opened the door to get in, they blinked at us with sleepy eyes and sniffed the air. They woke up quickly and became a little excited. I think it was the left over barbecue, literally our doggie bag.
After returning to camp and taking the dogs for a long walk, we attempted to light a fire. The wood was wet and we were getting cold, so we decided to make an early night. Our tent was small and the air mattress took up most of the interior. I anticipated a snug and warm night with 2 dogs and hubby. I have been never been more wrong!

Our tent was more like a screen room than a tent. I also found out that camping in cold weather with an air mattress is a no no. The cool ground and air around it pulls out any heat that comes in contact with it. In other words our body heat. The temperature dropped to about 28 degrees that night. It was not below zero, there was no blizzard, but we were cold. The dogs were shivering, we were shivering. Even my eyes were cold. Added to that the train going through every thirty minutes and blowing its lonely whistle. If we did doze off, it was not for long.

We were up early the next day and broke camp as fast as we could. I could smell coffee perking and bacon cooking in the air. I watched as rested couples, children and their dogs wandered out of their RV’s ready for a relaxing morning and then a fun filled day.

That was the day I knew beyond a doubt that I was an RV person. I love the trips and the experiences. I enjoy our dogs coming with us. They love it too. I also love my own bed. My own bathroom. My own warm home on wheels.

To continue the story......

No comments:

Post a Comment