Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sweaty Palms

Mary

We are getting ready to take our 5th wheel on its and our maiden trip. The 5th wheel is a 1998 Coachman. It was never used as a travel trailer. It was always on a lot in Florida. It was babied and putzed with. We are doing a few things to make it our own. All of this is wonderful and fun. Going home to my daughters wedding in June is also wonderful. What is not so great is going over the mountains for the first time. My palms are sweating already. It does not help that my palms sweat in a car going over the mountains. Really its going down the mountains that gets me. As Tim says, I am hugging the dash board and stomping the imaginary break.

One of the things I didn’t think about when we moved to North Carolina was that it was on the other side of the mountains from most of the country. To get to Michigan we have to go over the mountain range. I know this, I have been on Google maps for days looking at different ways to get over them. The fastest way is to go straight up Interstate 77. It takes us through West Virginia. It’s not to bad as far as traffic. There are a lot of trucks, but that does not bother Tim.

Now I know what some people will think when they read this. If I think the Appalachian Mountains are bad, I will never make it in the Rockies. Tim has promised me something called a jake break. We wont be able to get it until next fall, but he said that he could go down pretty much any mountain at any speed I wanted him to. Something like 30 miles per hour would be good.

Until then my palms will be sweating and my imaginary break will be stomped on and I will do my best not to hyperventilate. I am still looking forward to our first adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment