Thursday, June 9, 2011

Blue Road Adventures: Chasing down the past.


I last passed through Berea, Kentucky in 1982. I was on the TranAmerican Bicycle Trail (TAE 517) and we stayed at the college for 2 nights. As we drove into Berea, I had no clue where I was. There were no digital cameras in 1982, and I didn't take a film camera. I suggested to Mary that once we get on the road full time, we might follow the TransAmerican Trail periodically so she (and I ) could get an idea of what it was like to ride a bicycle 5000 miles across this country. Since this was enroute to Harlan, I wanted Mary to see a part of the TransAmerican Trail.

The last time I was in Harlan was 1968 or 1969. When the FX show Justified came on, Mary knew I would want to go to Harlan. It is also something I think happens to us when our parents die. Harlan was my father's hometown. Actually Loyall is his hometown. He was born in Harlan in August of 1929. His dad worked the coal mines during the 1920s through 1950s. It is said he assisted in building this monument. It has no inscription, other than a plaque that has been placed on the back side stating it was to honor the mining heritage. It was so much taller when I was just 8 years old.


In 1968 this bridge was the only way into Harlan. The new highway had not been built. It too was so much wider in the eyes of an 8 year old.

NOt sure if this has any role in the Justified show, but it is rather impressive. To the left is the library where I found a great gentleman who helped me locate a relative of my dad who still lives in Loyall.

Loyall isn't very big. The gas station, funeral home and a grocery store is about all there is. Behind the funeral home is a street than runs the length of Loyall. This is the street my aunt lived on, and where my current relative now resides.
Way UP at the top is the Wix Howard Cemetary. I believe this is where my uncle Billy is buried. My dad's brother died in 1937 when, according to family folklore, he was run down by a coal truck. I walked to the top and did a search, but it was hot and the dogs were in the car because there was a stray dog in the cemetary and we didn't want to have Kramer and Lola running after the dog. I would like to go back one day and do a more thorough search.


This trip to Harlan, which was on our way back from Michigan, was a chance for us to do more than drive the Blue Roads. It allowed us the opportunity to interact with the community. We visited the original Kentucky Fried Chicken, where I met the Colonel in 1968. Mary and I sat at what I thought was the same table I had in 1968. Then the resturant was still operating. Now there is a modern KFC built as an addition to the original where the food is cooked.
We had the chance to meet people, talk with some great folks who really helped us find what we were looking for in the way of names and contacts. Though it was just a one day stop-over, we left with the knowledge that being full-time on the raod and doing just this kind of research, is what we are really looking forward to doing in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment