Friday, April 29, 2011

A little R & R

Sometimes you just have to step away from the work.  Doesn't matter who you are working for, even if you are the boss.  Mary talked me into taking a short break  today.  Not that it took much conversation to convince me.  The nicest day of the whole week.  By noon I was extremely glad I took her suggestion.
Today was the Special Olympics in Johnston County.  All the schools were there, all grades from 1st through 12th had special olympians.   Watching the events reminded me why I have taught for over 20 years in special education.  The kids don't know the difference between 1st or 3rd.  But they know about losing, when no one else cares about them, when no one else takes the time to say "Great job !"
They know that today wasn't about winning or losing.  They know that today is really about participation.  Being present is being a winner.   SOmething too many of us forget.

Tim and Mary
Sandhills of North Carolina

No comments:

Post a Comment